The process of being stripped of our identity is painful. We live a large portion of our lives as “someone” we thought we were all along, just to realize that everything that made us who we are, can actually be taken from us.
Whether it be the loss of a loved one, losing friends, a painful break up or moving locations…all of these examples and more, are components that we assume as being who we are, our identity. Your true identity is something that can never be taken away from you, and this is why the process of stripping is necessary for personal growth.
Attachment is what tells us that something or someone is not our identity. The beauty in this process of unraveling or “unbecoming” is that we discover our true selves, and that our identity is what ever we choose for it to be.
This pain of loss is the beautiful birth of new beginnings.
Most of us were taught how to think (or lack thereof) by our parents and our environment. A huge part of who we are, was given to us in our upbringing and by social conditioning.
Our wants, our dreams, our thoughts on love and life were thrust upon us before we even had a chance to form our own personal philosophy.
Years of being conditioned to think and live a certain way, in relation to observing the lives of others, makes us completely oblivious to the fact that we have a choice to question those beliefs and refine them.
Reality is subjective to the individual, and proof of this can be seen when you observe that over 90% of the worlds population is barely getting by, while the other 10% are living lives that most can only dream of.
Ultimately what I want you to see is that in that period of loss and uncertainty, you have an advantage that most don’t realize because all they can see is the loss. All they can see is that this is not the way life was going before and they fight their hardest to return to what they know.
Unbecoming IS becoming the person who will ultimately give you the freedom you are looking for, while simultaneously giving this world value from your own experience. Embrace the losses and embrace the uncertainty, because in the midst of it, the answers you are looking for will be staring you right in the face.
Use this power of “unbecoming” to create your own reality, and you do this by reshaping your own personal philosophy, instead of going on living with the one that was given to you. I’m not saying abandon your religious beliefs but what I am saying to you is that in the midst of loss and uncertainty, your mind is at its most receptive point to be reshaped for the life that you truly want to live
Success can not be pursued, like a butterfly, it will elude you every time. Success can only be attracted and you attract success by the person you become. Periods of turmoil are more beneficial to our success because it gives us the opportunity to examine where we are in life and how we got there. By finding out how we got there, we can plan a course of action on how to correct our actions and then take steps that move us in the right direction.
Ultimately, our actions are a direct result of our mental blue print or paradigm (the way our minds are programmed to think). The reason we hear true stories of millionaires going completely bankrupt and losing everything, just to turn it all around and gain it all back (and then some) is because that person’s mind was wired to think and operate like a millionaire. This is the same reason why lottery winners hit the jackpot and are back broke within weeks to months later…their paradigm was wired to think and operate with a poverty mindset.
You have to lose it all in order to rebuild anew but you also have to be aware of the opportunity that losing it all presents to you. If you want success, attract it. Read books dealing with finance, personal development, neuroscience and how to deal with people. A loss puts you in a position where you have no other choice but to think. Make sure that while you’re thinking, you build yourself up to be the person that attracts the kind of success that you want.
If you enjoyed this post or would like to add your input, please leave your feed back below. If you’re not exactly sure on how to get started on changing how you think, I have set aside some resources here that I use regularly and have helped me tremendously on my personal development journey and in reshaping my mind. You can also follow me on twitter @BadBoySwingin.